Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 7: Brian's Tour: Maruga

This is Brian. He is the concierge at the Avenue Plaza Hotel in Naga and he is also our tour guide.  Brian is AMAZING!  He graduated in Tourism and he knows everything there is to know about the entire Bicol Region.  He also used to work at the world famous CamSur complex so if you are ever in this area, look for him!  Have I told you already to stay at the Avenue Plaza Hotel in Naga?  Believe me when I tell you that I havent told you enough!!!! 
(the lady in red is my sister.  I didnt ask her for permission to post this picture but I hope she doesnt mind as she looks cute in this pic)

We left our hotel early and asked for a condensed day tour to see the Mayon volcano. Because of time limitation, we asked for a 6 hour tour instead of the usual 10 hour that they give.  We filled 2 vans and set off.  We had barely left Naga City when the other van with my Dad in it started hailing us to stop.  And here is one of the firsts of many stories unfolding.  Growing up, Daddy always talks of the Bicol Maruya and how delicious they were. 
Of course, in true local fashion, we had to stop at a vendor selling from a small hut on the side of the street.
They were frying them right there so we were buying them fresh, hot and delicious!!
Maruya is made from the small bananas found in the Bicol region of the Philippines.  They are sliced thin and dipped in a flour type batter and deep fried. 
Daddy is right... they are YUMMY!!!

1 comment:

  1. I can taste them now...yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!Catman

    ReplyDelete