Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Major Project #1

Because I'm a blogger, I have to read other blogs. 
I'd like to say that because I'm a DIYer that I DIY....ah...nope!  ugh! 
But I dont because I'm scared that I'm gonna ruin something and then have to spend a butt load of money to get it fixed. 
But I (well, the hubby and I) did an absolute great job fixing up our first house that this should be a cinch, right?
Well it's been 5 years since we moved into this house so enough is enough....
Here's the eyesore!
Excuse all my mess but see the two cavities on either side of the fireplace without a mantle?
Well, it's supposed to have these wonderful built in shelving...
YUP!  All this time and still no shelving...and although I want to get it professionally done, I am not about to spend the thousands of dollars that it cost us to build the shelves in our little library.
It's a little room for that much money and so I said not again... I'm gonna do it myself.
But I wont tell you the look (you all know the look) that hubby gave me when I said that...
....and after getting inspired by Kristi from Addicted 2 Decorating and Mandi from Tidbits from the Tremaynes, I'm finally gonna do it! 
Here it is close up.  See all the weird angles?    Now you understand why I'm scared? 
Look at the first picture again...  This family room has a 16 foot ceiling. 
This means that the shelf has got to go at least 12 feet high for it to look balanced in the room.
I'm scared to work with large or long pieces of wood. 
Mostly because it's too heavy and awkward for my 5'2" self.
Dad K is lending me his compound miter saw.  Woohoo!!!  I'm sooooo darn excited! 
Hopefully I'll have an update for you soon!
Gosh, I sure do hope that I dont mess anything up! O_O

No comments:

Post a Comment